This study programme is for you if:
- you are interested in world events and how they impact our lives
- you want to recognise fake news fast and replace it with facts
- you like arguing about ideologies like neo-liberalism or veganism, or breaking down concepts like intersectional feminism and anti-intellectualism
- you are ready to live in a different culture
- study how small decisions affect hundreds of nations
- interview students in other countries to compare experiences
- spend time working as a volunteer in a foreign country
Hands-on learning will help you understand the local and the international impacts of globalisation, as well as question the world order.
Global Studies prepare global thinkers and actors and supports careers in government, journalism, law, non-governmental organisations, international business, or research.
Citizens outside EU
Please note that the Finnish government does not provide a residence permit for one-year studies at Folk High Schools.
head teacher for Global Studies
Radu has a strong academic and professional background in education and training, as well as wide experience in politics, civil society (NGO) and business. He has taught for the last 20 years in all forms of education, from primary to university, and has worked in a variety of countries including Cyprus, England, Finland, France, Romania, Spain.
He was the founder of the first Cultural Diversity Management programme in Finnish adult education. He has coordinated several international education projects funded by the European Commission and has received a Lifelong Learning Award from the Slovenian Presidency of the European Union for promoting mobility in adult education.
What will the students take with them after a year on your study programme?
At the end of their year at VNF students will know how to get involved in today’s global society, in its development and its leadership. They will have the skills to navigate the many layers of diversity, will know how to recognise and work with diversity, how to make the best use of it, and how to be a “people’s person” – someone who feels at home in every cultural context. They will use English fluently and confidently at all levels of work and social life, which will help them go through the modern world at a faster pace than others.
My greeting/philosophy of life/slogan: